Saturday, March 21, 2009

Never let someone see your cards!


I went back yesterday for the 25 pound freeze out tournament and this time they managed to get 43 runners so the prize pool was pretty decent. I wanted to get first prize and i was so close to getting it.

I saw made in china again and we were all like yer see you on the final table but he got knocked out 2nd hand.He said it was because he couldn't concentrate as he was a designated dealer, but there wasn't really much thinking as it was an all in pre flop move he got knocked out with. To be fair he did have a hand pair of tens and got called by Ace king, you know how the story goes.

I Did ok, i knocked 7 people out so i got 35 pound in bounties and came 3rd. I'm not sure if what i did was a mistake but i asked a few people and they said it was correct. Ill give you more details about that and why you shouldn't let people see your cards in a minute.

In the beginning i was quite a big stack and had everyone under my control since they were all tighties, but then this crazy guy sat down. He had to put 300 in the pot for being late and called another 200, the pot was big with 2 others in there so i limped with 3h 4h. The flop was 10 s 5h and 6h. The first 2 checked and so i raised 1000 to take the pot there and then. The crazy guy who probably thought it was a re buy tourney called and the others folded. I figured he was a total donk so i wasn't worried. 9h came on the turn so i immediately pushed all in for his 1000 more which he snap called. The guy had Ah and 2c. I think it was because he wore a strong red t-shirt and had a lucky charm sitting on the table that gave him enough luck to hit his HEART giving him the nut flush. After that he was pushing and calling with king high on the turn card and hitting his high card. Fortunately he got knocked out before the blinds got to big and i became the bully once again.

On the final table i managed to knock 3 people out pretty quickly leaving the table with 6 people left. 5 people got paid and there was a small stack which had 2000 left and the blinds were 4000. This Small stack had the guy ill call Lloyd Mullaney behind it. He looked and sounded like him only difference being he had a shaved head. The guy got so lucky he kept wining all the all ins and got louder each time, it was so irritating. The last guy went out and 2 more followed pretty quickly leaving me big stack on the table with the other 2.

This is where i am not sure if i should have done what i did. I had over 60000 chips and i was small blind. The blinds were 4000 8000 and the dealer folded. The big blind was Lloyd Mullaney and he started playing tight, he still had 21000 on top and the other guy only had around 15000 and was big blind next so i pushed all in for the steal with queen 7 suited. To my surprise he snap called even though he always folded to me so i was thinking he had a monster. But in fact he had king 4 of suit. I realised he had looked at Rachel the whole time who was behind me. He picked up the fact she was looking at my cards when i had aces and she was saying 'why did you go all in pre flop, you should of just limped' She managed to see my cards and showed total weakness which he picked up on and obviously thought i had a lot worse. I wasn't in too bad a shape but nothing came on the board and he won with king high. I looked at Rachel to say don't look but she didn't understand and she looked again but this time it was a lot worse.

I was now dealer button and i was going to push with q2 suited. I didn't think Lloyd Mullaney will call me which he didn't as he just doubled up and thought its worth heads up with big blind who could have anything and id only lose about 15 if he won. As i was in motion going all in Rachel said 'don't do it' He snap called to no surprise with king 2 of suit and won again with king high. I cant say that he definitely would of folded but Lloyd Mullaney could have easily called as well making the odds worse. What rachel did without thinking was pretty silly,even though she didn't mean anything bad she was a big factor in me getting called both times. So don't let people see your cards! your not being mean your being clever. you may be able to hold a good poker face but your friend may not.

After all that i went all in with 5 6 of suit and hit 2 pairs but Lloyd Mullaney hit a bigger 2 pairs and i was out at third.

I question the play that i did when i was the dominant stack but i think i was right in doing it. The differences between 1st 2nd and 3rd prize was 100 each level so it was worth it for Lloyd Mullaney to fold. Next time id just make sure no one is looking at my cards!

ILL GET IT NEXT TIME!

No comments:

Post a Comment